Last Updated on March 31, 2021
Snakes love to live in a den or safe place. They also like living in shady places and sometimes sunny places to keep their cold blood warm. Typically, the backyard is a safe spot for them as there is plenty of food and good shelter. They may enter occasionally into the pit of your in-ground trampoline. The condition worsens when you found snakes on the trampoline mat.
Most of the snakes aren’t venomous but your kids get horrified seeing them. So, you don’t want to allow snakes in our backyard. That’s why we plan to talk about a crucial topic, how to avoid in-ground trampoline snakes in the pit. If you are facing such snake problems, then this article is suitable for you. Let’s find out the details!
Making Your In-Ground Trampoline Snake-Proof
To make your backyard snakes free, you need to take the prevention techniques that will keep them away from invading your in-ground trampolines. Before going to the prevention techniques, we’ll talk about the signs that prove there are snakes in your backyard.
Identifying Snakes in Your Backyard
Maybe you’ve seen snakes in your backyard. But sometimes you mightn’t see snakes but there are few ways by which you can recognize there are snakes in your backyard. A few of them are:
If you see a snake’s scaly skin in the backyard, make sure there are snakes very close to you. With the growth of snakes, they change the old layer of their skins once a month.
Another important way of understanding a snake’s existence near you is its feces. Like all other animals, snakes also excrete waste as feces. They eat insects and small mammals such as rats and small reptiles. Their feces resembles bird feces but include animal bones or fur.
Snakes don’t have any footprint, but their distinguishable trail tells there are snakes around you. Winding trails on dust or dirt is a good indication to realize snakes’ presence.
Tips for Preventing In-Ground Trampoline Snakes
There are many ways for making your backyard as well as in-ground trampolines snake-proof. Below, we’ll explain a few methods.
Keep Your Backyard Tidy
First of all, you need to keep the garden neat and clean especially to remove the snakes’ hiding spots. Few such spots are clutter, lawn, shrubbery, etc. It’s a good practice to remove the stacks of wood, leaves, or piles of mulch from the backyard. You can use crushed stones, rather than mulch.
Don’t allow grass to become taller. Always cut and shape them very small using the lawnmower as it’s a snake’s hiding spot. You can get one easily from the local stores or from online. You can also try these models.
- 3 tools in 1, easily converts from mower to trimmer to edger
- AFS automatic feed system ensures continuous work without bumping and having to stop. Ideal property size 750 square feet
- Power drive transmission prevents bogging down. Cutting heights: 1.6 2.4 inches
- Adjustable height deck & trimmer and pivoting handle. Charge time at 60 percent 2.5 hours
- Includes (2) batteries for extended run time
- Your purchase includes One GreenWorks 14-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower | One 4.0 AH Battery and Charger
- Product dimensions – 50.4” L x 15.8” W x 40.47” H | Weight – 33 lbs. | Run time – Up to 45 minutes (greatly depends on the condition of the grass)
- Easy assembly required | Deck Material – Plastic | Handle height is not adjustable | Cutting blade type – Single, metal
- Single lever 5-position height adjustment offers cutting height range from 1-1/4 inch to 3-3/8-inch for the best cut in all environments
- 2-in-1 feature offers rear bagging and mulching capability for multiple use | 14'' deck is versatile and light weight | Up to 34% of U.S. homes only need one charge to get the job done
If you need plants, then it’s ideally recommended to keep taller ones.
It’s also recommended to remove all dirt piles or any other hiding spot. If there are holes in the ground fill them to avoid snakes’ hideout. To easily remove the dirt piles and find out the holes, you can use blowers. They are handy and help you out on different occasions.
- Battery operated leaf blower gets up to 450 CFM of air volume and up to 125 Mph with concentrator
- Innovative axial fan design of the cordless blower that maximizes on air output and run time
- Battery leaf blower with low noise during operation - 66 dB(A), ideal for noise sensitive regions and properties
- High-efficiency brushless motor helps extend run time and motor life
- Lightweight and ergonomic design allows for easy control and arm movement
- New GMAX 40-volt 2.0 amp hour lithium ion battery provides more power and longer run time
- Variable speed motor delivers max speeds of 150 MPH
- Extension tube helps increase reach and blower efficiency
- Lightweight design provides easier control over the unit
Destroy Snake’s Food Source
If snakes choose your backyard as a good food spot, then you need to destroy their food sources. Because snakes make their den where both shelter and foods are available. You need to focus on driving these rodents and pests. The snakes will automatically go outside from your trampoline pit.
You can use chemicals or natural repellents to kill these pests that attract the snakes. For convenience, we will suggest you the following ones,
- ✔️ POWERFUL PEPPERMINT ESSENTIAL OIL FORMULA – Long Lasting Indoor & Outdoor Protection. Use To Protect Against All Types Of Rodents Including Mice/Mouse & Rats
- ✔️ READY TO USE SPRAY – Easy To Use, Just Shake & Spray. No Messy Traps
- ✔️ FOR INDOOR USE – Spray Anywhere In Your Home. Will Not Stain. FOR OUTDOOR USE – Use Wherever You’re having An Issue With Unwanted Rodents
- ✔️ NATURAL - Safe For People, Pets & The Environment When Used According To Directions
- ✔️ 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE – OUR PRODUCT WORKS. Not Satisfied? We'll Refund Your Money, No Questions Asked.
- NON-TOXIC - Made with balsam fir oil, this plant-based alternative freshens and protects our storage areas for up to 90 days.
- NO-MESS, EASY TO USE - Remove plastic overwrap. For use in currently infested areas, increase use to 1 pouch per 8 sq. feet of floor space, and replace every 30 days.
- ETHICAL/ENVIRONMENTAL - Made in the USA by EarthKind, the only company to develop a botanical rodent repellent that meets federal EPA standards for professional pest control use/effectiveness in indoor/enclosed areas. EarthKind operates with a 2% carbon footprint and hires a 20% handicapable workforce for assembly of your product. EarthKind has won multiple awards over the past 10 years including the 2017 National Parenting and Eco Excellence Awards.
- PROTECT YOUR PROPERTY - Use Fresh Cab pouches to repel rodents from basements/attics, pantries, cabins, under hot tubs, garages/sheds, storage units, autos, trucks, tractors, farm equipment, sheds, barns, RVs and boats.
Install Snake-Proof Fence
It’s also necessary to block all the entering roots of snakes. This fencing isn’t fully effective to prevent all types of snakes, but it works fine for most of them. A fine wire mesh fence is a handy option in this regard. Snakes can slither up vertically, so angle the fence outwards to prevent snakes from entering.
If your backyard is very large and you are unable to install fencing fully, then at-least use the fence in the most used areas. You can also use a net in the in-ground trampolines water removal drain so that no snake can enter under the trampoline.
- ● Keeps Snakes from entering any area ● Blends extremely well into landscape ● Very easy to install all you need is a hammer ● Will last for years with minimum maintenance ●
- ● Keep Snakes from entering any area ● All you need is a hammer to install ● The Snake Fence Barrier does not need to be buried in the ground ● Will last for years with minimum maintenance ●
You can use vibration to scare them. Run lawnmower where you are thinking snakes can hide, that makes them scary and they go away. This is just a temporary method. But don’t run over the lawnmower to the snake.
You can attract the dog or cat to find out the snakes. They know where the snakes might be hidden. The snakes get frightened in the dog’s call. Even snakes usually don’t enter the area if they realize there are cats or dogs.
Whether you should use a snake trap or not is a disputable topic. Few experts say you can use snake traps to make your backyard snake-free. This trap works well if there are lots of reptiles such as mice and rats. The glue trap easily catches snakes and other reptiles.
- Extra Strength - Ultra sticky glue maintains holding power overtime and traps snakes on contact
- Large Surface Area - Supersized glue trap folds open for an extra large surface area
- Multi Purpose - Catches rats, mice and insects in addition to just snakes
- Non Toxic - The trap does not use pesticides, poisons, or chemicals
- Use in Multiple Areas - Great for residences, businesses, schools, storage areas and more
The negative side of using snake traps is that you may unwillingly kill helpful animals in your backyard. To avoid that incident, you can try some alternative traps. Here is one for you,
- Cahaba Snake trap foldable comes with 1 replaceable catch inserts, trap is reusable or disposable
- Made of corrugated palstic, pet and consumer friendly works rain or shine 24/7
- Cahaba Snake trap foldable is made better, catch insert has 180 sq.inches of catch power, can be use inside and outside.
- Same day shipping Made in Alabama
- United States Patent # 7726063
If the above-discussed methods don’t work, then you can go for extreme actions. You can use snake repellents such as sulfur, carbolic acid, mothball, and other commercial repellents. But we don’t recommend using these chemical repellents frequently.
There are some natural repellents also that can be used to get rid of snakes. For instance, lemongrass, oil, onion, garlic, etc. Cinnamon, cedarwood, and clove oils are helpful to repel snakes. Or you can try the following options,
- Prevents snakes from entering, nesting and foraging
- Safe for people, pets and plants when used as directed
- Delivers long-lasting and rain resistant performance
- No-stink formula using essential oils
- Ready-to-use formula
- Epa-registered granules repels poisonous & non-poisonous snakes
- 4 lb resealable bag covers . 5 Acre and lasts 2 to 3 months
- Apply around the perimeter of area you want to Protect
- Temporarily disrupts snake's sensory reception
- Contains naphthalene (7%) And sulfur (28%)
It is highly recommended to plant lemongrass, onion, and garlic in the backyard if you are facing snake problems. The citrus scent of lemongrass and the pungent odor of garlic and onion can disorient and repel snakes easily from your backyard.
Call A Pro
When all the other ways failed, you need to call a professional snake catcher especially if you realize the snake is poisonous. They can easily help you to keep away the snakes.
At last, we want to tell you that if you bounce on the trampoline regularly, then the chance of snakes coming near the trampoline will decline heavily. Yet, they might enter under the in-ground trampoline mat. If this occurs don’t overlook it, the snake might be venomous.
Hopefully, you can now handle such situations as you know all about how to avoid in-ground trampoline snakes in the pit. Now apply these methods and make your in-ground trampoline snake-proof. So, your kids are now safe to play in the in-ground trampoline!
Adam is a family guy who tries to find joy by having a good time with his friends and family. Spending some quality time in his backyard and have a good trampoline moment is something he loves dearly. The sharing of experience and knowledge that he got has motivated him to start this blog.